By: Koothrapalli in Python Tutorials on 2012-04-07
To remove duplicates from a list in Python, there are several approaches you can take. Here are three common methods:
Using a loop and a new list:
my_list = [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5] new_list =  for item in my_list: if item not in new_list: new_list.append(item) print(new_list) # Output: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
In this approach, we iterate over the original list and check if each item is already in a new list. If it's not, we add it to the new list. This way, only the unique items are included in the new list.
- Using a set:
my_list = [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5] new_list = list(set(my_list)) print(new_list) # Output: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
In this approach, we convert the original list to a set, which automatically removes duplicates. We then convert the set back to a list to preserve the order of the original list.
- Using a list comprehension:
my_list = [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5] new_list = [item for index, item in enumerate(my_list) if item not in my_list[:index]] print(new_list) # Output: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
In this approach, we use a list comprehension to iterate over the original list and only include items that haven't been seen before (i.e., items that don't appear earlier in the list). We use the enumerate() function to get the index of each item in the list, and we use list slicing to get a sublist of all the items that come before the current item.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in Python )
Latest Articles (in Python)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews