By: Ashley J in Python Tutorials on 2017-09-27
Python while statement repeats execution of a statement or block of statements, until the loop condition is true. The syntax of the while statement:
while expression: statement(s)
A while statement can also include an else clause, and break and continue statements.
Here's a typical while statement:
count = 0 while x > 0: x //= 2 # truncating division count += 1 print('The approximate log2 is', count)
First, Python evaluates expression, which is known as the loop condition. When the condition is false, the while statement ends. When the loop condition is true, the statement or statements that make up the loop body execute again and again. Once the loop body finishes executing, Python evaluates the loop condition again from the top to check whether another iteration should execute. This process continues until the loop condition is false, at which point the while statement ends.
The loop body should contain code that eventually makes the loop condition false; otherwise, the loop becomes an infinite loop (unless the body raises an exception or executes a break statement). A loop within a function's body also ends if the loop body executes a return statement, since in this case the whole function ends.
<< python if
python for >>
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews
Python program to get location meta data from an image
Retrieve Twitter posts and comments using Python
How to install Jupyter in Ubuntu and make it accessible through Apache Reverse Proxy
Python Basics - Setting up your Python Development Environment
Schwartzian Transform in python
Multidimensional list (array) in python
Perl's chomp() equivalent for removing trailing newlines from strings in python