By: Issac in VB.net Tutorials on 2009-02-21
Surprised, we can use SMTP protocol and .net source code for sending an email, SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, in VB.NET we can use System.Net.Mail namespace for send mail. We can instantiate SmtpClient class and assign the Host and Port. The default port using SMTP is 25, but it may vary different Mail Servers. The following example shows how to send emails from a Gmail address.
The Gmail SMTP server name is smtp.gmail.com and the port using send mail is 587. Here using NetworkCredential for password based authentication.
Imports System.Net.Mail Public Class Form1 Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _ ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click Try Dim SmtpServer As New SmtpClient() Dim mail As New MailMessage() SmtpServer.Credentials = New _ Net.NetworkCredential("[email protected]", "password") SmtpServer.Port = 587 SmtpServer.Host = "smtp.gmail.com" mail = New MailMessage() mail.From = New MailAddress("[email protected]") mail.To.Add("TOADDRESS") mail.Subject = "Test Mail" mail.Body = "This is for testing SMTP mail from GMAIL" SmtpServer.Send(mail) MsgBox("mail send") Catch ex As Exception MsgBox(ex.ToString) End Try End Sub End Class
You have to provide the informations like your gmail username and password , and the to address also.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in VB.net )
Latest Articles (in VB.net)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews