By: Issac in VB.net Tutorials on 2009-01-31
We can see about OLEDB object which can be used to work with data in cell (i.e. insert, edit, delete, select etc), we can use OleDbConnection, OleDbDataAdapter and dataset for doing these operations in an Excel File, also you have to import system.Data
Sample Select sql
Sql = "select * from [Sheet1$]"
Here is the sample Excel file.
Open the connection using OLEDB Provider
(provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source='Your Filename';Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;)
Specify which data you want to read
select * from [Sheet1$]
Here is the screen shot after reading from Excel file.
Imports System.Data Public Class Form1 Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _ ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click Try Dim MyConnection As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection Dim DtSet As System.Data.DataSet Dim MyCommand As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter MyConnection = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection _ ("provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _ " Data Source='c:\testfile.xls'; " _ "Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;") MyCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter _ ("select * from [Sheet1$]", MyConnection) MyCommand.TableMappings.Add("Table", "TestTable") DtSet = New System.Data.DataSet MyCommand.Fill(DtSet) DataGridView1.DataSource = DtSet.Tables(0) MyConnection.Close() Catch ex As Exception MsgBox(ex.ToString) End Try End Sub End Class
When you execute this program you will get the contents in the excel file to the DataGrid.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in VB.net )
Latest Articles (in VB.net)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews