By: Emiley J.
If you wondering why in the world should I call a JSP from a batch file then read on. In fact, my problem was to schedule a task that runs every day on a specific time and must generate a report for my management and email the same. Searching the net I was able to accomplish this by combining VB and batch files. But I was not happy with the results. Or to be more specific, my management was not happy with the type of report I was generating in terms of formatting etc.
What the management wanted was a nicely formatted report just as our internal WEB based reports. Now I realised that I have already a JSP that generates the report, now I only have to do two things.
- Modify the JSP to instead of displaying, just generate the report in HTML format and then email it
- Secondly I must find a way to schedule this emailing to auto email every day at a specific time.
So I have answered the question as to the necessity of calling a JSP from a batch file. Now that I have decided on what to do, I set search on how to do this. Then I found that batch file by itself cannot accomplish this, therefore I would need a combination of a batch file and a vbscript file (VBS).
So assuming you have a JSP page that generates the report and emails it. Do the following to automate the report generation:
1. Create a text file and copy the following content into it:
Set objIEA = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
objIEA.Navigate "http://18.104.22.168/emailreport.jsp" (This should be changed to your actual url)
objIEA.visible = true
Set objIEA = Nothing
2. Rename the text file to report.vbs
3. Create a batch file and name it as report.bat and copy the following content in that batch file.
4. Create a Scheduled task from windows to call this report.bat as per your requirement.
If you are using linux, then you follow the suggestion provided by Goozy in the comments section below
Most Viewed Articles (in JSP )
Latest Articles (in JSP)
Comment on this tutorial
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews
Subscribe to Tutorials
7. Thank you very much. This is exactly i was looking
View Tutorial By: Dhyan at 2015-08-26 19:36:57