By: Zed A. Shaw Printer Friendly Format
- Go to http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/ with your browser, get the gedit text editor, and install it.
- Make sure you can get to gedit easily by putting it in your window managerâ€™s menu.
(a) Run gedit so we can fix some stupid defaults it has.
(b) Open Preferences select the Editor tab.
(c) Change Tab width: to 4.
(d) Select (make sure a check mark is in) Insert spaces instead of tabs.
(e) Turn on â€œAutomatic indentationâ€ as well.
(f) Open the View tab turn on â€œDisplay line numbersâ€.
- Find your â€œTerminalâ€ program. It could be called GNOME Terminal, Konsole, or xterm.
- Put your Terminal in your Dock as well.
- Run your Terminal program. It wonâ€™t look like much.
- In your Terminal program, run python. You run things in Terminal by just typing their name and hitting RETURN. a. If you run python and itâ€™s not there, install it. Make sure you install Python 2 not Python 3.
- Hit CTRL-D (^D) and get out of python.
- You should be back at a prompt similar to what you had before you typed python. If not find out why.
- Learn how to make a directory in the Terminal. Search online for help.
- Learn how to change into a directory in the Terminal. Again search online.
- Use your editor to create a file in this directory. Typically you will make the file, â€œSaveâ€ or â€œSave As..â€, and pick this directory.
- Go back to Terminal using just the keyboard to switch windows. Look it up if you canâ€™t figure it out.
- Back in Terminal see if you can list the directory to see your newly created file. Search online for how to list a directory.
[~]$ python Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 1 2010, 05:28:39) [GCC 4.4.3 20100316 (prerelease)] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> [~]$ mkdir mystuff [~]$ cd mystuff # ... Use gedit here to edit test.txt ... [mystuff]$ ls test.txt [mystuff]$
Most Viewed Articles (in python )
Latest Articles (in python)
Comment on this tutorial
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews