By: Aaron Hillegass in Cocoa Tutorials on 2010-09-03
Cocoa is a set of frameworks and APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) that are used to develop applications for Apple's macOS operating system. It provides developers with a rich set of tools and components for building modern, high-performance desktop applications.
Cocoa has its roots in the NeXTSTEP operating system, which was developed by NeXT Computer Inc. in the late 1980s. NeXTSTEP was based on the Mach kernel and provided a highly advanced object-oriented development environment, complete with a GUI toolkit, advanced development tools, and object-oriented programming languages.
When NeXT was acquired by Apple in 1996, the NeXTSTEP technology was incorporated into Apple's existing development platform, and the result was the creation of macOS. Cocoa is the primary framework for developing macOS applications and is built on top of Apple's Objective-C programming language.
In recent years, Apple has introduced Swift as a new programming language for macOS and iOS development, and Cocoa has been updated to support both Objective-C and Swift. Today, Cocoa is an essential part of the macOS development ecosystem and is widely used by developers to build everything from simple utility applications to complex, multi-platform software.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in Cocoa )
Latest Articles (in Cocoa)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews