By: Emiley J.
A search on 'What is Java' in google returns roughly about a billipon pages. That is the popularity of Java on the web. If you haven't read the history of Java please read it first here. Java was just meant to be a portable, platform independent programming language. But over the years it has transformed into a complex platform for computing portable software across different devices and systems.
What is the need for Java?
When there were so many programming languages already available what was the need for another programming language.
To understand this let us take an example of a program that runs on a SONY TV remote control. This program can be written using a language (let us assume) called X. The remote control has an in-built chip on which this program will run. If we look at the functionality of a TV remote it is almost the same for any brand of TV. So by right the same program should be used on any brand of TV remote.
In reality it is not. Why? Because the in-built chip in different brand of TV Remotes maybe different. Therefore the same program has to run these two different chips, they have to be re-compiled in order to suit different chips in other words platforms. If there are 100 different brands, the same program has to be re-compiled 100 times to suit these 100 different brands. This is where the problem arises. That is why a new programming language was needed. And Java was the answer.
How does Java solve this problem?
The Java designers came out with a wonderful concept of a 'Java Virtual Machine'. Now Java differs from rest of the languages in using this unique concept. Which means unlike other languages a Java program when compiled produces a ByteCode rather than machine code. This ByteCode is machine independant (platform independant). The Java Virtual Machine resides on the machine and interprets this ByteCode into a form the machine can understand.
Now take the same example of a TV remote. If the program was developed using Java rather than X, then the same program can be used in all different brand of TV Remotes provided all of them have the 'Java Virtual Machine' (JVM) installed on them. If all of them have the JVM the JVM will convert this same program into a form that each brand of TV remote understands. This is a very simple but effective method of making a program portable. This is how Java solves this problem.
Now that we understand what is Java, move on to the Java getting started guide
37. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Exceptionally wll written!
my blog :: [url=http:/
View Tutorial By: IT Office Help at 2017-07-28 06:39:23
49. It's really very complex in this busy life Natural Waays To Improve Yoour Sexual Stamina Endurance <
View Tutorial By: Wolfgang at 2017-07-09 22:57:52
50. Wow, incredible blog structure! How long have you ever
been blogging for? you make rujning a
View Tutorial By: Alberto at 2017-07-09 19:21:39
51. Just wanna remark on few general things, The website pattern is
perfect, the content materia
View Tutorial By: DermageniQ at 2017-07-09 18:44:11
52. You got a very great website, Sword lily I found it through yahoo.
Here is my
View Tutorial By: DermaPromedics at 2017-07-09 17:00:25
53. whoah this weblog is great i love studying your articles.
Keep up the good work! You know, lo
View Tutorial By: ed sheeran tour at 2017-07-09 07:00:53
64. This is really fascinating, You're a very professional blogger.
I have joined your rss feed a
View Tutorial By: True Brilliance Ingredients at 2017-06-25 00:49:32
67. I see your website needs some fresh posts. Writing manually takes a lot of time, but there is
View Tutorial By: NidaX at 2017-06-24 01:14:04
78. It's going to be finish of mine day, but before finish I am reading this impressive post to increase
View Tutorial By: FIFA55 at 2017-06-09 13:28:21
93. This text is invaluable. When can I find out more?
View Tutorial By: thehall.net at 2017-05-13 09:26:25
114. Nice article. wonderfully explain.Thanks for sharing
I read some java topics on this link
View Tutorial By: Arshi at 2016-09-20 07:04:59
115. awesome examples...i m a beginner and through this example...i can understand abot JAVA easily.
View Tutorial By: Kumar Sagar at 2016-05-26 08:13:55
116. Hi, Neat post. There's a problem with your website in internet explorer, would test this IE still is
View Tutorial By: Smithk795 at 2014-10-12 10:31:09
117. This kind of game gives a real experience of building a farm and planting kkcaedegdabkfkkc
View Tutorial By: Smithd806 at 2014-07-04 07:39:45
120. Can you tught me matrix function and friend function in c++...because my basic of in opps very low..
View Tutorial By: Shiv pratap singh at 2013-01-12 06:46:46
123. Basic Example to undestand java literal persons
View Tutorial By: Sajid mestri (maha,sangli) at 2010-10-30 00:44:44
125. thanks for providing information in a simple language
View Tutorial By: shailaja at 2010-09-01 03:50:41
128. Excellent Example...... To understand the concept to any beginner of the Language..........
View Tutorial By: SUNNY at 2009-02-24 23:41:04
Most Viewed Articles (in Java )
Latest Articles (in Java)
Comment on this tutorial
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews